Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankfulness

"Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.”
~Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta


I was going to write up a list of things I was thankful for, but it turned out to be too much work. It’s not just that it’s a long list, but that each item on the list has so many facets. For example, not only am I thankful for my sisters, but I am also thankful for the great relationships—friendships really—that I have with them. And I am thankful for how funny Caitlin is and how she is so social and outgoing. And how Jaima always reads the books I recommend, even after I told her at length what they were about and shared every last interesting anecdote. And how Caitlin asks for my advice sometimes just so I can feel like a smart, helpful older sister. And how Jaima knows what I mean when I describe someone as the kind of person who would write “your” when they meant “you’re”. And how one time we were out picking rocks in one of Dad’s fields and the three of us passed tedious hours by making a list of things you could make out of rocks, and when we ran out of things you could actually make out of rocks, we started making things up, like “soup,” “chipmunks,” and “paper airplanes.” And we laughed so hard.

So you see why I can’t realistically make a list of all the things I am thankful for. Not to mention, now that I think about it, I am even thankful that I have so much to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

2 comments:

Herbal Amanda said...

And I am thankful your my friend and for how much this post made me laugh and smile! Even if I did read it several days too late :)

Troy said...

No wonder you got a 5 on the AP english test. You have an amazing gift for writing.

One more thing you can make out of rocks: ducks (made out of very small rocks, of course).

By the way, to post this comment I am about to type the word "unprib," just to verify that it is officially me that is leaving it. Should I sign my emails the same way?

Love,
unprib