Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Moonlighting

I’ve been working hard on my kayaking skills lately. The Spokane River finally came back up to runnable levels (above 1500 CFS) and the weather is staying beautiful even though we are into September now, so we’ve been going out on the river nearly every night. Last night we may have over-extended ourselves, however. We didn’t get started until about 6pm and we had a pretty long run to do. We ended up doing the last mile or so completely in the dark. It was a beautiful night and we had a full moon, but it was still a bit disconcerting trying to navigate rapids without really being able to see them. We were on an easy stretch of the river, so none of the rapids were really dangerous (so don’t worry Mom!). Anyway, it was a wonderful time.

Last week I ran the upper Spokane several times. That’s probably the most popular section here in town. It has some solid Class II rapids, popular playspots and is great for beginners. I still find it very scary, but am starting to get the hang of it. On Friday, I got two combat rolls (that’s where you roll yourself back upright in a rapid as opposed to freaking out and swimming which is what I usually do) which is pretty cool. Thanks to the ever-patient Captain Awesome for teaching me this cool, cool sport!

No comments: